Property Maintenance Code of the City of Darlington:
Municipal Ordinance 13.095
This Ordinance has the following specific objectives:
(a) To protect the character and stability of all areas within the City.
(b) To provide minimum standards of maintenance necessary to protect the health, safety and general welfare of persons occupying or using land, buildings and structures in the City.
(c) To provide minimum standards for the exterior maintenance of all land, buildings, and structures and to thus prohibit the spread of blight.
(d) To declare that land, buildings, structures and adjacent property which have become or are becoming deteriorated, dilapidated, neglected, fire hazards, a vermin or rodent harborage, or unsanitary may constitute public nuisances, fail to meet the standards of this Ordinance and are detrimental to the health, safety and general welfare of the residents of this community.
(e) To preserve the value of land, buildings and structures throughout the City.
Maintenance and Appearance of Exterior of Buildings and Structures:
1. The exterior of buildings and structures shall be free of all nuisances, unsanitary conditions and hazards to the safety of occupants, pedestrians and other persons utilizing the premises.
2. The exterior appearance of all buildings and structures shall reflect a level of maintenance in keeping with the
standards of the neighborhood, and shall not constitute a blighting factor or an element leading to the progressive deterioration of the neighborhood.
3. Exterior porches, landings, balconies, stairs and fire escapes shall be provided with banisters or railings properly
designed and maintained to minimize the hazard of fallings, and the same shall be kept structurally sound, in good repair and free of defects.
4. The exterior of every building and structure, including fences, shall be maintained in good repair and all surfaces
thereof shall be kept painted as necessary for purposes of preservation and appearance. Buildings and structures shall be maintained free of broken, lose shingles, crumbling stone or brick, excessive peeling paint or other conditions reflective of deterioration or inadequate maintenance.
5. Every dwelling and accessory structure, exterior walls, siding and roofs shall be kept structurally sound and in a
state of good repair to avoid safety, health or fire hazards and shall be so maintained as to be weather and watertight.
6. Every building and structure on the premises shall be adequately protected against rats, mice, termites, and other vermin infestation, and shall not permit the entrance of such rats, mice, termites and other vermin. Owners and operators shall be responsible for the extermination of such vermin from that part of the premises under their exclusive control.
7. Every building shall have adequate refuse, garbage or rubbish storage facilities. No owner or operator shall allow
occupants to accumulate rubbish, boxes, lumber, metal refuse or other materials which may provide a harborage for rodents or vermin.
Maintenance and Appearance of Land.
1. The land surrounding the buildings and structures shall be kept free of hazards and clear of debris including, but not
limited to, brush, weeds, broken glass, stumps, roots, obnoxious growths, filth, garbage, trash, refuse, old tires, and junk. The sole exception is where said debris has been properly placed for pick up by the City’s waste disposal contractor.
2. Every yard, court, driveway or other portion of the land shall be graded or drained so as to prevent the accumulation
of stagnant water on any such surface. Driveways shall be maintained in good condition and repair.