- Install a video surveillance system and make sure it is running
- Do not plant bushes and other sources of foliage near windows and doors because they give burglars a source of concealment
- Do not leave motorized merchandise such as lawn mowers, ATVs, snow blowers, etc. unattended with keys in them.
- If you have items for sale outside your store secure them with a padlock and chain
- USE LIGHTING! It is a major deterrent and an inexpensive form of security.
- Keep your key holders list up to date with the Police Department so you or your designee can be contacted in the event of a problem at your business during closed hours
- Lock your home all the time. Yes, Darlington is a safe place to live, but our most common crime is property crime. You must protect yourself by locking your doors and windows.
- Lock your vehicle no matter where it is at. We often times receive reports of purses, wallets, cell phones, CDs, etc. stolen from unlocked vehicles. In addition, each year we have a few unlocked vehicles stolen.
- Use outside motion detecting lights to deter prowlers and burglars.
- Always call the Police when something seems out of place in your neighborhood. Never hesitate. It is better to be safe than sorry. Officers are on duty 24 hours per day.
- If you store items outside, such as bikes, lawn mowers, etc, secure them with a padlock and chain.
- Report all violations to the police. There is nothing too big and nothing too small. We will investigate all illegal activities.
Darlington Police Department, WI